Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 11 after lisfranc surgery

I think it is the isolation that is the worst part. Before my surgery, I planned on not being very mobile and set up our lower level with a TV, DVD player, stocked our little kitchenette with water, diet coke and plenty of fruit.  I moved all my clothes into our guest room and had plenty of e-books and hard cover books available.  I made the bathroom completely handicap accessible for a person who can only put weight on one foot. Crutches, knee scooter and walker all stand at the ready to help me live as normal a life as possible.  But never once, did I contemplate how alone I would really feel.

The first week after my surgery is still a complete blur of pain meds, and an exhausting revolving door of friends and family bringing flowers, food and company.  Switching to OTC meds really helped with the exhaustion and when all the attention died down, I realized I was alone, really alone for the first time.

Being alone sounds so wonderful when the world is spinning out of control, but when you are forced into isolation, it really isn't all I thought it was going to be.  I was going to get caught up on all my reading, watch movies and maybe even start that novel I have been planning on writing.  But instead, I am sitting here watching the rain drip down in silent drops...drip...drip..drip.

I have my 2 week post op appointment on Thursday and all sorts of things flicker through my thoughts...why is my big toe numb?  Why does my foot hurt so much on some days and not at all on others?  Did I do damage to the surgical repair when I fell off the knee scooter on one of my sleepy days? Will I get the splint/cast off finally???  What will the next 6 weeks be like if I am already tired of the forced sedentary life?

The days stretch on endlessly as I try and think positive healing thoughts...

3 comments:

  1. Hello from Anne in Cape Town, South Africa. I have recently had lisfranc fracture surgery and I am 4 and a half weeks into post op recovery. I want to thank you for your inspirational blog.

    You have so clearly explained the hell that it is and yet, throughout, you have maintained your sense of humor and your wonderful, indomitable spirit.

    How are you now? Please keep blogging about your progress as it is inspirational to people like me who still have to do the "hard yards".

    I hope this post finds you in excellent health and in full recovery.

    Best wishes
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had surgery April 15,2019. I was misdiagnosed after injury March 8th. I have been trapped in my house with a neighbor helping me to doctors appointments and the offer to go to the store for me every two weeks. The isolation is terrible. Everyone I have called to talk to make remarks like get an Uber or they had a hip surgery or knee surgery. I have not complained just saying so need to talk to someone and why. I want to shout, “yes but you have family who helped. Just releasing.

    I have a boot now and it’s weight bearing as tolerated. I can take a few steps. I feel it should be more, it hurts too bad. Different places have pain at different times. Mostly my big toe.

    Thank you for a place to vent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this. I am 6 days out of surgery. I have had the injury since May of 2018 but no one diagnosised it until September 2020. It’s a lot. I’m still trying to teach remotely from my bedroom. I fell off my scooter on a bathroom visit tonight and accidentally put my NWB foot down. I freaked out and immediately Googled. Thank you for this blog. —Anne

    ReplyDelete