Monday, August 19, 2013

Getting through TSA airport security after lisfranc surgery

  After being pretty much homebound for the last 14 weeks (following my lisfranc surgery on May 10th) I took my first vacation this last week-end.   My husband and I decided to visit his senior partner who has a home on Lake Geneva.  It is a 45 minute flight from Minneapolis to Milwaukee, so it was the perfect flight to take for my first post lisfranc outing.  I was really excited to get out of town for a short week-end.

My physical therapist and I  agreed that I should wear my boot and use my cane to navigate all the walking I would need to do in the airport.  And even then, I still may need to use the handicap transportation at the airport.





I wondered how I was going to get through TSA with my boot and my cane!  As I approached the place where you take your shoes off, I was surrounded by 2 TSA agents who were more than willing to assist me.  They took my cane and gave me one of theirs.  (Mine had to be X-Rayed.)  And then I took off my one shoe and placed it in the X-ray along with my carry on.  Next I was helped up the ramp into the full body scan.  I never noticed before that there is a a definite sharp decline to walk out of the body scan, so I needed help there as well.  

After the body scan I was put in a roped off area where I offered to take off my boot.  This suggestion was met with a lot of emphatic "NO's" from more than one agent.  Instead, the TSA agent scanned my boot!


TSA Scanning of my boot



Getting through TSA airport security with my boot


Getting through airport security was really easy and all the agents were helpful.  I was surprised they let me take pictures for my blog!

Being able to travel once again was a huge boost, psychologically, for me in my lisfranc recovery journey. It felt wonderful to be one step closer to living a normal life once again.






5 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading about your recovery. I have recently been diagnosed with a dislocation of the 2nd metatarsal, I do not have a fracture, and waiting on Insurance approval for an MRI to find out if i have any torn ligaments (pretty sure I do). The actual injury occurred 7 years ago. I started a walking routine to get back into shape back in March. Since May it has become more and more painful for me to walk, starting with pain after 20-30 min of walking, to limping all the time. I am now in a walking boot, and having to use crutches if i have to walk any distance. My foot gets irritated and swells in there is anything tight over the top of my foot, including the boot. I am pretty sure I will have to have surgery as well, I will find out more in a few days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I am sorry to hear you have been having such problems with your foot! Please keep me posted as you travel through your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, I originally injured it 7 years ago, I didnt have insurance and really didnt know the full extent of the injury since i didnt go to the dr. I do remember popping a bone back into place then and then keeping both my feet wrapped for a week or 2. back in may, after a nice walk, my foot cramped up and swell, it was so painful that i couldnt walk, when i went to the dr (a quick clinic since it was sunday) he said it was due to fallen arches, and that i should get arch supports for my shoes. I tried that, but since then my foot was getting more and more painful to walk on, starting at hurting after about 20 min of walking, to hurting with just moving my toes. mid july, i went to my regular Dr. he took one look, said it wasnt plantarfacitis and referred me to a podiatrist. First visit ti to podiatrist was 7/24 he first thought it was from arches too, and had me try some different arch supports, and they took xrays. I went back on 8/7 with it hurting even more, now it was completely across the top of my foot and not in my arches at all. I then explained the injury i had 7 years ago, cause the pain was feeling almost exactly like the pain i had then. He took another look at my xrays ans noticed the space between the first and second metatarsal. which he then explained the lisfranc injury. He put me in a walking boot for 3 weeks, hasnt gotten any better and I go back to see him on wed. My dr did try to order an MRI lil over a week ago cause my foot was swelling and was extremely painful to walk on, i had to use crutches and the boot. but insurance was trying to say that i hadnt had the condition for over 14 days without it getting better (they were basing their decision strictly on the dr diagnosis date.) I will see what Wed appointment will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious about your doctor appointment.....did the MRI confirm a lisfranc diagnosis? Lisfranc injuries are so often missed!!! I am so sorry you have to go through this. You journey as been a long one!
    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had the MRI yet, still waiting on insurance approval. Dr. just basically said he was going to resubmit the paperwork for the MRI, and at the moment there really wasn't much else he could do until we get the MRI. My foot has only gotten more painful the past few weeks. It tends to feel like the 2nd metatarsal wants to pop out of the top of my foot with every step, in the walking cast or not. Im using crutches along with the walking cast, which does help cut down on the pain some.

    ReplyDelete