Saturday, July 13, 2013

Graduating from a crutch to a cane during lisfranc recovery!

Actively recovering from Lisfranc surgery has been the bulk of my life recently and I have made enormous progress towards walking again!

For the past two weeks I have been going to HydroWorx therapy 6 days a week, physical land therapy 2 times a week, and also doing my at home exercises twice a day.

My physical therapist was on vacation over the 4th of July so another therapist filled in for her.  Last week, he tried to move me to the next step in recovery which is to use the cane instead of a crutch.  At that point, I didn't have the balance or the strength in my recovering foot to manage a cane.

This week, my regular physical therapist was back and she couldn't believe the progress I had made during the last 7 days since we last  met!  She had me walk for her without my crutch and was stunned. 

I filled her in on my progress in HydroWorx therapy and she said she wished all her patients had access to a HydroWorx pool.  We both believe my HydroWorx therapy has greatly accelerated my recovery.

She handed me a cane and explained how to use it and after a few wobbly attempts, and some additional guidance from her, I have now officially graduated from a crutch to a cane!  



I can now use my cane while wearing sneakers in my home, and use the cane while in my boot in unfamiliar surroundings!



Good-bye crutches!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment