Monday, July 1, 2013

HydroWorx aquatic treadmill for faster lisfranc surgery recovery


Click here for more information on HydroWorx therapy

If you have been reading my blog, you know how highly motivated I am to recover as quickly as possible.  I got permission from both my surgeon and my physical therapist to start additional re-hab in a HydroWorks pool. Professional athletes use Hydro Therapy to speed up recovery, so I am hoping it will work for a "normal" person as well.
The HydroWorx pool is kept at 94 degrees, which is a few degrees below body temperature.  This is the best temperature to help with swelling while still moving.
Today I entered the HydroWorx aquatic treadmill for the first time.  I stepped carefully on the treadmill grasping the safety bar.  My therapist  lowered the treadmill until the water was chest high.  After several minutes of underwater foot stretches she set the treadmill speed at a low level and activated the underwater cameras. It was fascinating to watch my injured foot re-learn the correct motions for walking.  

After 15 minutes of walking and re-building muscle memory she had me once again do foot exercises under water. After raising the treadmill to floor level, I was amazed to note that my foot was less swollen than before we started!
Today in the Minneapolis Star Tribune there was an article about Senior housing which includes wellness centers. Towards the end of the article, the reporter, Janet Moore, talks about the exact HydroWorx aquatic treadmill that I am using for therapy.
"One of the stand-out features of Summit Place is the HydroWorx aquatic treadmill. For years, athletes from the Vikings, Wild, Twins and Timberwolves sports teams used the pool-treadmill at the senior complex because there was nothing like it elsewhere in the Twin Cities. “When I told my partners I wanted to buy [the $300,000 piece of equipment], they thought I was out of my mind,” Gould said." quoted from Janet Moore's article in the StarTribune titled "Senior housing booms as cities age" July 1st 2013
Here is a link if you want to check out the entire article:

I am hoping that daily HydroWorx therapy will teach me to walk again as fast as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment