Saturday, October 12, 2013

22 weeks post lisfranc surgery

Before I ever heard of a lisfranc fracture I took my feet and my ability to walk for granted.
Normal feet before a lisfranc injury


I was diagnosed with a lisfranc fracture of my first two metatarsals  with ligature rupture and joint displacement and on May 10th, 2013, I had this titanium plate inserted into my foot.




Lisfranc fracture repair X-Ray



Lisfranc fracture repair X-Ray 

2 weeks after surgery, I had my cast removed.


2 weeks after lisfranc fracture surgery


Today, 22 weeks after my lisfranc surgery, my foot is almost healed!  I am approximately 75% - 80% of the way to the finish line!

During my 27th physical therapy appointment, my therapist was astounded at my progress just in this past week.  I was able to get through my exercises with little to no pain, even when he decided to make them harder and more challenging.  






22 weeks post lisfranc surgery


In the midst of my weekly foot massage and manipulation, I was mortified that my therapist noticed I was beginning to get callous' on my recovering foot. ( I had made sure I received a pedicure before my appointment, so that my feet would look acceptable. ) He laughed when he saw how horrified I was and quickly explained that callous' were a good thing and showed him I was healing. Callous' mean that I am walking more and that my skin is starting to toughen up just as it is supposed to.

I shared a story with my therapist about how I woke up during the night, thinking I had a spider crawling on my big toe, which is still partially numb.  After snapping on the light and assuring myself I was not in bed with a spider, I realized what I felt was the sheet on my big toe!  Finally, after 22 weeks, I can feel a sheet sliding on the top of my foot!!!!!!  



lisfranc surgery image 22 weeks post op, right hand side

During my appointment my therapist worked with me on activities I can start to do at the health club ON MY OWN!!!  

At home, I can now be on my treadmill for 10 minutes a day.  (Forward, backward and sideway walking.)  I have permission to increase the amount of time slightly each week, because I promised to listen to any type of foot discomfort.






lisfranc surgery image week 22 left side view
It helps that my therapist is encouraging, patient, kind and is also my biggest cheerleader.  I am absolutely thrilled with my ability to walk forwards, backwards, sideways and with my strength to balance on my toes.  



But there is sadness to this process too.  I will soon be saying "good-bye" to the man who gave me back my ability to walk again.  Countless times he calmed my fears and patiently explained to me, in detail, what was going on during my recovery. Picking the right lisfranc surgeon is crucial, but having the right physical therapist is indispensable! 


22 weeks post lisfranc surgery image















2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your blog post. I'm just out of surgery today. Looking forward to healing. Hoping its a success story like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your lisfranc injury was a long time ago but 9 weeks post op starting on my physio journey you have given me so much hope for a return to a much more normal life... The only difference now is that in the UK we keep the hardware in our foot so I will forever be titanium : )

    ReplyDelete