Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Bones fully healed!!!

Today I had my 24 week surgical follow up and my surgeon's exact words were:

"The bones in your foot are completely healed and fused together, exactly like they should be."


x-ray showing complete healing 24 weeks after lisfranc surgery
All of my fractures are healed, my joints are aligned and my lisfranc joint is fused.  I couldn't be happier with my healing and progress!!!


lisfranc healing 24 weeks after surgery


He went on to review with me my x-rays from before my surgery, at my 2 week check, 6 week check, 12 week check and today's 24 week check. 


Lisfranc injury before surgery
lisfranc joint completely healed 24 weeks after surgery



My surgeon noted that my foot still has some slight swelling and discoloration and I filled him in on my continued pain when walking, especially when I try to walk fast.  I also told him I was unable to run, jog or jump and he said that was normal at this stage, and realistically it would take another 6 months to fully and completely recover. 

He also said that if I was an athlete it was time to have the discussion about hardware removal, and I laughed and told him my goal has always been to walk down our steep driveway and get the mail, and I can do that now!   He smiled, and continued to say that a lot of women want the hardware removed in order to be able to wear cute shoes again.  Of course that got my attention, especially after wearing neon green and pink sneakers for the last couple of months! 

I showed him the top of my foot and traced the area with my finger where I thought the hardware was and he affirmed that it was indeed the plates I was feeling under my skin.  I also asked if hardware removal would help with the itching in that same area and he said it definitely would stop the irritation.  Removing the plates and screws may even help with the cramping I have been getting in the arch of my foot.  (Although the cramping most likely is related to my muscles re-building.)

Removing the plates and screws is a simple procedure, and the incision would be along the same line as my lisfranc incision.  I would be full weight bearing right after the surgery with stitches removed at 2 weeks and full recovery at 3 weeks.  So, I decided to have my plates and screws removed and scheduled surgery for Jan 8th 2014.  (Hardware removal should be done within 1 year of original surgery.)

I am not at all discouraged, though, since I know my bones are healed, my muscles are continuing to develop properly  and my lisfranc recovery journey is on the right path.


















3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your bones’ full recovery! So how are you doing nowadays? Have the muscles had time to adjust and develop properly? Here’s to your timely recovery! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracey! Thanks so much for responding to my blog! My muscles are still adjusting and recovering. My surgeon said complete recovery is another 6 months away. Sigh. At least I do have some pain free steps each day…...

      Delete
  2. Hi Puma
    Thank you for journalling your experience. I am going in for surgery this Monday, 16th March 2015 to have my foot stabilised with screws after an injury last October.
    I haven't read the whole blog, but intend to in next couple of days.
    The journey so far has been long, arduous and painful to say the least. Now that I have a diagnosis, I am hoping to move forward in every way in my life.
    Congratulations on your success
    Di

    ReplyDelete