Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Exhaustion during lisfranc surgery recovery

I am now in my 5th week post lisfranc surgery and each week I have felt stronger and less tired.  I knew I was getting better when I started to notice all the little things that were not being done in my living area, such as the carpet hadn't been vacuumed, the weeds were growing next to the house, cob webs on the ceiling, etc.  In previous weeks all I could concentrate on was getting myself showered and dressed in the morning, icing my foot and elevating.  I didn't even look at my environment. I think this is a very good sign!  I am starting to care about more than just my foot and the healing process!

And then yesterday happened.  I did my usual routine of showering, dressing, icing and elevating and instead of feeling wide awake, I did all I could to stay awake.  I finally lost that battle around noon and laid down to take a nap, something I haven't done in over a week!  I slept 3 1/2 hours and woke up refreshed and ready for our evening visitors.

Today I realized why I was so tired.  Yesterday was the day my body needed to recover from all the new exercise and I simply needed to rest.  On Sunday, my husband and I went to church, but because it was raining, we couldn't take his John Deere up the hill to the car.  So we had to figure out a new way for me to get upstairs.  I ended up going up the stairs backwards, using my arms and than crawling to the next half level of stairs and repeating the process.  I was horrified at how winded I became!  It was quite the workout.  And then I had to hop down the two stairs in our garage to get myself in the car.

After church, we went out to lunch with my father and a friend, which posed another mobility challenge....navigating into a booth.  By the time we got home, it was still raining so I had to figure out how to descend the stairs back to "my" level.  By the time I was back in "my chair" I was sweating, breathing hard and exhausted.

I am not an exercise nut, but I am certainly no couch potato.  Before my injury I had been walking 3-5 miles a day and in the summer I swim laps in our pool.  So this new feeling of exhaustion over simple things like navigating stairs is quite disturbing to me.  I didn't realize how much energy my body has been using to heal from lisfranc surgery.


2 comments:

  1. I had a lisfranc injury that occurred March 19, 2016, and a second surgery Nov 24 (to remove the three screws)....I still feel pain and the top of my toes are sensitive (temporary nerve damage?) I am tired all the time. Exhausted. And, it isn't as bad now, but it seems like a chore to do anything. I sweat easier than before but, it is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 2022 I rode1200 miles on my bike, over 100+ miles in one day, walked 10,000 steps most every day and danced every week plus manual labor during the day. I was very active and in great physical condition. I had surgery 12-28-2022 for Lis Franc injury which occurred 10 days prior.

    Today is 30 days post surgery. I live alone and do a lot myself. I have very gracious friends and family that assisted a lot the first 2 and 1/2 weeks, making dinner, buying groceries since I cannot drive yet, taking out the garbage, shoveling the snow. There are so many angels in my life, I am so grateful. They can only do so much, they have their own lives. So I do some chores and for example just putting the dishes into the dishwasher and then 2 hours later emptying them takes all I got. I have a knee scooter that is a life saver, I am twisting and turning and reaching all the time from the scooter. Like doing YOGA all day long. I can only do one chore at a time or 1/2 and then collapse into the safety of my recliner, breathing heavy. You are right, the body is taking a lot of energy to heal that dang foot. A good sign, plus the good news, I am getting stronger and able to do a bit more every day. 1% improvement every day = only 100 days to 100%

    So this exhaustion thing is yet another change I have accepted during this recovery process. I do see the light at the end of this tunnel.

    Also, If anyone one that posted previously can update what they are experiencing now a few years later that would be nice.

    ReplyDelete