Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Lisfranc surgery recovery can be a blessing

I am finding the non weight bearing period of my recovery has actually been a blessing in many different ways.  It has forced me to slow down and become completely sedentary, mostly helpless and dependent upon others for almost all my needs.

The biggest reward of my temporary sedentary life has been the generous people who have stopped by to visit me, run errands for me, call me or send me emails and texts.   It isn't the delicious breakfasts, lunches and dinners, DVD's, books, flowers, candy, cards, snail mail, e-cards and voicemails (I could go on and on) that mean so much, but it is the time people have taken out of their  own lives to encourage me, in whatever way they could, during my difficult journey.  

I have been so fortunate to be able to spend quality time, without distractions, with the people who have stopped by in person.  These times spent with my family and friends has greatly deepened my relationships with each and every person. So lisfranc surgery recovery really can be a blessing if you look at it as an opportunity to re-connect with not only yourself, but your loved ones as well.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the reminder. I'm four weeks post op and am looking for the silver lining in all of this mess. I'm the mother of four very active children who i'm used to doing everything for and being the taxis and number one cheerleader at all of their events. It has been very hard to hand all of this over to others and deal with the disappointment of not being at these events. Thanks for the reminder that its good to slow down sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for responding to my blog. I cannot imagine how busy your life is, and then to have it come to a screeching halt. YIKES! It is so very hard to actually let others help. That was the hardest lesson I had to learn during lisfranc surgery recovery. I hope you are able to enjoy the times your children are being cared for by others by doing something you enjoy (that doesn't involve movement..) I wish you fast healing and pain free nights during your recovery!

      Delete
  2. My son just had lisfranc surgery 6 days ago. He had numbing catheters in his thigh that lasted for 70 hours, OxyContin and Percocet for breakthrough pain. After the nerve blocks were removed he blew through his meds and had to get another set of Rxs which left the Dr. concerned and the pharm red flagged him. He's elevating and icing and doing other treatments such as biofeedback, Reiki, body scan relaxation...but he is in excruciating pain. They told him he should be coming off the pain meds now not needing more. Are they NUTS?! He has a plate with 4 screws securing it and a 5th one at an angle. So that FIVE screws! He has never had any kind of surgery other than his wisdom teeth pulled. He is having an awful time of it. His postop is Monday. Once he's out of meds, he's out. They won't give him anymore. I wanted to send this link to him but as I read I feel it may do more harm than good. Focusing on the pain and the long road ahead and to read those of you who are several months (22 months one person!) and still have pain every day....I don't want him discouraged. Everybody and every body is different and I'm praying this acute pain is gone Soon. Thank you and Bless all of you. Godspeed in your individual recoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our 31 year old daughter is scheduled for surgery later this month. She will be convalescing at our split level home. That alone will be a challenge. Even more concerning to me is that she is a recovering heroin addict. She broke her foot last May and is just now able to have the surgery. She has been clean from opiates for almost 2 years and we are nervous about how to manage the pain she will feel from this surgery. She was told she would have a plate and 2 screws that will remain in her foot. I am looking for any suggestions tips etc that might help us. We are rounding up a circulating ice machine to help with swelling. What else can we do?? My email is Fletcher921@hotmail.com
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete