Thursday, June 20, 2013

Psychological transition from non weight bearing to partial weight bearing.

The toughest transition during my lisfranc recovery has been psychological.  I desperately want to walk again and resume my life.  But the fear of re-injury causes multiple feelings of unease, trepidation and worry. I am constantly concerned that my foot won't be able to support my weight.  Just thinking about having to go through lisfranc surgery again and the seemingly endless recovery has the power paralyze and even drown me.  And most certainly these thoughts make me hesitant about taking the next steps in my journey.   I am trying to learn how to prepare, mentally, for each step that I take, whether it is standing, walking, or climbing stairs. I had not counted on not only having to rehab my foot but having to also recover my confidence in something I used to take for granted.....walking.

3 comments:

  1. I am only three weeks after my Lisfranc injury. I also went misdiagnosed for a long time… Four months. I was told that my operation was a success and now I am supposed to start walking with the boot and put some weight on my foot. I am really scared to do this, after all I've been through. I am taking it slow walking short distances like from the couch across the room and back with my crutches giving some support.thanks for blogging about this. It makes me feel like I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 6 weeks after Lisfranc surgery (2 months since my accident). My cast was removed yesterday and I was instructed to wear a walking boot for another month. Simply trying to stand on two feet is painful enough. Trying to walk seems impossible. Thanks for all your words on this blog. It really helps to follow along your road to recovery and compare it to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nobody has posted in awhile but I recently just got my cast off and into a boot. It was 6 weeks from my surgery on 04.20.2020. Dr. told me to go home and do some exercises and that going to see a physical therapist was not needed. He said after two weeks of that you can start walking in your boot. The way he said it made it seem so easy. I am so eager to walk but I have no confidence. This road to recovery is one of the hardest roads i've ever been on. I know this is a long shot since this post was made but how are you guys doing now? How were you able to over come this?

    ReplyDelete