Thursday, June 6, 2013

Lisfranc surgery recovery survival guide


When I was told I had a lisfranc fracture and would need surgery involving 6 weeks on non weight bearing inactivity, I admit I went numb.  I couldn't comprehend what it would be like to sit around for 6 whole weeks!  After the initial shock, I decided I had to have a plan in place that would make me as independent as possible, for the next couple of months.  I thought I should share my lisfranc recovery survival ideas:
1.  Pick a place in your home where you have a bedroom and easy access to a bathroom with a shower.  If possible have a small refrigerator near by for water and ice packs/ice.  A TV with a blu ray player can ease boredom.
We have a multi level home and I decided to move down to our lower level where we usually entertain.  This space has a small kitchen, bathroom, shower, guest room,  and TV.  It was set up perfectly for my temporary mini apartment.  We decided to have a TV/Satellite and Blu Ray DVD player installed in the bedroom since the first 2 weeks I would most likely be in bed.
2.  Assemble ways to mobilate on one foot.
I have used 4 different kinds of "transportation."  A walker, (without wheels) a wheelchair, crutches and a knee scooter.
ImageImage
After trying out all 4 devices, the knee scooter has quickly became my favorite.  I like it because It doesn't hurt my arms like the crutches and the walker, and it  is completely independent (unlike a wheel chair that my husband has to push) and I can move around my space easily.  It also feels "safe" and my foot feels very protected.  A basket on the front is a real plus and has quickly become my "purse" and a way to haul things from room to room.
3.  Set up the bathroom you will be using to accommodate standing on one leg. 
I started with the toilet.  I knew I couldn't stand up from a seated position using only one leg so I found this toilet seat riser in a medical device store:
Image
Having the arms on the device is helpful, especially at first when fatigue from surgery is the greatest.
Next came the problem of how to shower and still keep my cas/splint dry.  So I bought "the giant condom."  ImageThe rubber piece fits snug against your thigh and your cast stays completely dry.
A friend of mine gave me a stool to sit on while showering.  It doubles as the "chair" I use to put on make-up and dry my hair while siting in front of the bathroom mirror.
ImageI found a lot of the shower stools sold are pretty low and the height of this one is much easier when trying to stand back up on one leg.
My father came over and replaced the shower head with a hand held shower.  This was essential since it allowed me to move the water where I needed it and not have to move my body.
photo-44
4. Have plenty of ice, ice packs and instant cold available.  
ImageImage
A friend of mine brought this over to me during my 3rd week of recovery.  I wish I had known about the air cast Cryo/cuff earlier!  I have been using it everyday since!  All you do is fill it with water and ice in the morning and it keeps cool all day!
5. Learn to say "yes" to friends who offer to help.
More on this tomorrow.....

4 comments:

  1. Hello all viewer online HIV has cure but doctor said Hiv/Aids has no cure until i met Dr Godwin who help me in my life. I was infected with HIV/AIDS in 2006, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution, so that my body can be okay. until this faithful day as i was browsing the net I saw a testimony on how Dr. Godwin helped people in curing HIV Disease, quickly I copied his Email which is .com so i contacted him for solution for my HIV, so Dr. Godwin told me that his going to prepare herbal medicine for my health, then he prepared the medicine and luckily after three week my HIV was be cured. Dr Godwin is well recognize as one of the best herbalist doctor in West Africa, you don't have to be sad anymore or share your tears anymore on this disease when the cure have already be found by Dr.godwin herbal medicine, he so cure HERPES,CANCER, ALS,HEPATITIS B, DIABETIC ,or his whats-app number: + 2348054615060 or email drgodwinsolutionhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spell to fix your broken marriage or relationship problem or after a divorce or Breakup,I was recently scam by two of them, until one faithful day i meet a man called Dr Oselumen who help me to get back to the father of my kid after we have been separated for two years,I only pay for the items required for the spell and he cast the spell for me within 24hours my ex husband called me and beg me to forgive him for everything until the end of the world he will never leave me again we are back together.if you need a real and quick love spell or you are passing through pregnancy problem Dr Oselumen is the answer, Please if any body needs. LOVE SPELL,LOTTERY,PREGNANCY SPELL, DIVORCE SPELL,STOP COURT CASE AND WIN ANY COURT PROBLEM,DEATH SPELL,BUSINESS SPELL AND MANY MORE YOU MAY NEED. Email him now for your own help. via email droselumen@gmail.com add him on whatsapp line or call +2348054265852.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herbal Penis Enlargement product is 100% guarantee This is Penis Enlargement Herbal Solution to enlarge the penis and make it strong,micro penis is a serious problem, it has broken so many marriages ,over 70% of women want big penis, when a man is weak sexually and could not satisfy a woman,that relationship or family will be shaky and if nothing is done it will eventually break. Get this herbal solution and be in charge again HOW DO I GET IT? Our products are strictly by order, we don't sell in shops, to place you order, contact +2349074505296 and one of our delivery team will place a call to you to confirm and deliver the products to you, to enlarge Penis is because they bedlieve on medicalreport, drugs and medical treatment which is not
    helpful for Penis Enlargement . Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily Enlarge your Penis permanently
    Contact Dr Edidia via Email : dredidiaherbalhome@gmail.com or via WhatsApp : +2349074505296 for Natural root and herbal remedies put together to help you get Enlarge and Erect healthy.
    Thank you.    

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smiles I must say your posts are interesting and lovely,
    So few months ago, I used to suffer from HSV-1/2, I was researching permanent remedies for this type of infection and I stumbled upon dr ogbekhilu who I eventually got the herbs remedies from. I actually did series of lab tests after the the treatment, of which came out to be negative and I was confirmed cured. I have stopped patronizing the pharmacy for suppression medicine e.g (acyclovir) which usually sucks off my savings on a regular basis.
    Dr ogbekhilu company is 100% Tested and trusted. They also deal in legit cure products for: chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis. Diabetes. HPV Infections ETC
    Info: drogbekhiluherbalhome@gmail.com .

    Https://drogbekhiluherbal.simdif.com

    ReplyDelete